Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thankful Thursday: 9/11

I can't believe that it's been 7 years since that horrible day! I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news...

I was a Senior in high school, my mom was a seminary teacher and I went into her class after seminary to help her clean up. The seminary principle came in and asked my mom if she had heard the news. She said no and he told her that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center buildings. I didn't even know what the WTC buildings were or where they were located. We rushed home and turned on the news. I thought what on earth were the chances that a plane could "accidentally" crash into a building. I didn't think there was any way that anyone would be stupid enough to attack our country. But then the second plane crashed into the 2nd WTC building. We watched it live on TV. It was awful. I finally got in my car to drive to school... it was on the radio, of course, and while driving to school - the second tower collapsed. It was awful! I went numbly to my 1st period class and we watched it on the news. My teacher kept saying that it was an alleged terrorist attack! I wanted to shout at him that of course it was a terrorist attack! DUH!
I came home after my 1st class because it was too depressing to be at school - came home and the first building fell... the pentagon had been hit and a plane crashed in the Pennsylvania countryside. I remember Congress singing "God Bless America" on the steps of the Capitol building, I remember President Bush speaking to the country and I remember President Gordon B Hinckley speaking to the Saints. I remember it all... Just like it happened yesterday. But the thing I remember the most was how everyone was proud to be an American. They were proud to wave their flags. They said that they would Never Forget, but they have already forgotten to be United. I love my Country! I wish we could all feel united without having some sort of tragedy first.

A year or so after 9/11, Ben and I were driving on the 78 and a huge motorcade was slowing down traffic. We didn't know what it was but as we got closer we saw huge pieces of twisted metal that was painted. It was metal from the WTC buildings and it was a very solemn and sacred experience for me. I love my country and I'm VERY proud to be an AMERICAN! God Bless you all and please take a minute to remember this day and what happened. It surprises me that the youth I work with at church that some of them don't even remember 9/11... I always will remember my tears...

0 comments: